Salmon-Crested Cockatoo Facts
Salmon-Crested Cockatoo Facts
Image Source: "Cacatua moluccensis -Cincinnati Zoo-8a" by John Moose - originally posted to Flickr as Moluccan Cockatoo. Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cacatua_moluccensis_-Cincinnati_Zoo-
2. They inhabit lowland forests, especially mature canopy forests along rivers. They are most active in early morning and late afternoon.
3. Wild cockatoos feed on nuts, including young coconuts, seeds, berries, fruits and insects.
4. Length is 18 to 22 inches. Weight is 600 to 850 grams.
5. The Moluccan Cockatoo is the largest of the white cockatoos, with the female being larger than the male.
6. The bill is a gray to black color. Legs and feet are black. The eyes of the males are black, while those of the female are dark brown.
Image Source: "Cacatua moluccensis -Kuala Lumpur Bird Park-8b" by Mahbob Yusof - originally posted to Flickr as Moluccan Cockatoo (Cacatua (Cacatua) moluccensis). Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cacatua_moluccensis_-Kuala_Lumpur_Bird_Park-8b.jpg#/media/File:Cacatua_moluccensis_-Kuala_Lumpur_Bird_Park-8b.jpg
8. Abundant feathers are longer and broader than similar sized birds. This gives the Moluccan cockatoo a bushy appearance when it rouses (ruffles its feathers).
9. Moluccan Cockatoos reach sexual maturity at 5-6 years of age. Their breeding season is typically in May-August. Clutch size is between 1 and 3 eggs, but most commonly it is 2 eggs and both parents will incubate the eggs. Incubation lasts 28-29 days.
10. Moluccan Cockatoos live in flocks of about 20 birds. They are highly intelligent which makes them popular pets, however it also makes them one of the most demanding and needy birds and because of this, they need lots of attention. These cockatoos are thought of as very peaceful in the wild, but are also thought of as pests in coconut plantations because they eat young coconuts and their milk.
11. Cockatoos are often destructive to their habitat, especially wooden items – it’s very important to give them lots of enrichment.
12. In addition to also being called “Salmon-crested Cockatoos” they are also known as “Rosecrested Cockatoos”.
13. The oldest Moluccan Cockatoo recorded was 125 years old in England.
14. Moluccan cockatoos are also known as “Salmon-crested cockatoos” and “Rose-crested cockatoos".
15. They often become quite attached to their owners.
16. Cockatoos are destructive to their habitat, especially wooden items.
17. They are very intelligent birds and need a variety of enrichment toys and activities.
18. Hand-reared birds are gentle and affectionate, but demanding.
19. Cockatoos are a “powder-down” bird. This means they have an extra powdery substance in their feathers. This powder can be very irritating to those owners and handlers with allergies and asthma. If you, or a family member, have these issues, a different parrot species may be more suited to you. Other “powder down” birds include African greys and cockatiels.